I’m sure you have heard the saying, “all that glitters isn’t gold” or some version of it in songs or other articles. I believe the saying holds so true with business. I once thought that because I wanted freedom by not clocking in for anyone and that if I was to hustle for any company to make a living, it would be for myself-that it would be easier to do so if I started a business. It appeared that way when I saw boss babes doing their thing. Big mistake! It was harder to get my business out there, I wasn’t as free as I thought I would be except to do things my own way, and it took more than 40 hours a week to get things going (still does). You may be on the verge to create a business for the laptop lifestyle that it may come with, but it isn’t always so easy.
However, according to National Association of Women Business Owners (NAWBO),
- More than 9.4 million firms are owned by women, employing nearly 7.9 million people, and generating $1.5 trillion in sales as of 2015.
- Women-owned firms (51% or more) account for 31% of all privately held firms and contribute 14% of employment and 12% of revenues.
- Over the past seven years, the overall increase of 8.3 million (net) new jobs is comprised of a 9.2 million increase in employment in large, publicly traded corporations, combined with a 893,000 decline in employment among smaller, privately held companies.
- 2.9 million firms are majority-owned by women of color in the U.S.
- These firms employ 1.4 million people and generate $226 billion in revenues annually.
- One in five firms with revenue of $1 million or more is woman-owned.
- 4.2% of all women-owned firms have revenues of 1 million or more.
There is definitely some weight to wanting to start a business and now is definitely the time because as of 2017, there are more than 11.3 million women-owned businesses. Though, the one thing to always keep in mind is that it isn’t as glamorous or as easy as it seems. Be prepared for the roller coaster of emotions, the let downs, the boot strap and financially tight moments. However, don’t fret! There’s an abundance of resources to keep you on track and a tribe that is out there waiting to cheer you on. You just need to find or build your community. We currently have one at Lattes and Laptops. So no need to go it alone in today’s business climate, because we’re here for you. Empowered women, empower women and more! Wouldn’t you agree?
Featured Image via The Hollywood Reporter